Proper footwear is essential to supporting a child’s development. We believe an ideal warm weather shoe for children offers arch support, stable heel cup, shock absorption & breathability. When making recommendations for proper shoes as Pediatric PTs we can thoroughly assess the individual child’s alignment and gait pattern. For more specific and tailored guidance feel free to reach out to us directly!
According to the APMA the proper footwear should pass the 1, 2, 3 test which includes:
1. Stiff Rigid Heel Cup – Press on both sides of heel counter. The shoe should not collapse.
2. Check Toe Flexibility – Push up on the sole of the shoe at the toe line. The shoe should not bend with child’s toes.
3. Assess Mid-Foot Structure – Try to twist shoe at the mid-foot line. The shoe should not twist in the middle.
Here are some Pediatric PT approved footwear options for warmer days ahead!
Our top KEEN picks include KEEN Newport & KEEN Seacamp
Our top PediPed picks include PediPed Minnie & PediPed Flex Canyon
Our top Stride Rite picks include Stride Rite Wade & Stride Rite Seaton
Our top Kamik picks include Kamik Crab & Kamik SeaTurtle
Our top Merrell picks include Merrell Hydro H2 & Merrell Hydro Jr
For more detailed guidance check out our post Shoe Recommendations for Children!
Learn more about Dinosaur Physical Therapy!
To continue the conversation follow us on Facebook and Instagram
- APMA Children’s Foot Health Website: https://www.apma.org/files/ProductPDFs/Children%27s_FootHealth.pdf
- Stride Rite Guide: https://www.striderite.com