We had such a great response to our initial installment of DinoPT Activity of the Week: Suction Ball! Thank you all!
For this week, we introduce one of our favorite activities, Soccer Bowling! Combining fine motor and gross motor work, this activity can be easily modified for children of all ages!
What you need:
- Pins: can use blocks, colored cones, or empty paper towel rolls
- Balls: can use therapy ball or soccer ball
- Starting Spot: can use colored spots
- Optional: ramp or air cushion to increase challenge
- Ask child to build a few block towers to serve as bowling pins.
- After they have created three or four towers, place colored spot on floor a few feet away to designate the starting position.
- Place ball next to colored spot and ask child to kick the ball to knock down the “bowling pins”.
- You can add on to challenge by increasing distance from pins, have child stand on dyna-disc or pillow for balance challenge, or decrease size of ball to challenge coordination and precision of kicking.
- Improve Coordination
- Challenge Fine Motor Skills
- Challenge Gross Motor Skills
- Address Balance
- Encourage Attention/Focus
Increase Challenge by:
- Having child balance with one foot on air cushion or pillow, while other foot kicks pins down.
- Having child kick ball up ramp towards pins.
- Using smaller size ball which requires more coordination and precision.
- Rolling ball towards child for practice kicking a moving target!
For more Fun Activities check out our Suction Ball post here!
Learn more about Dinosaur Physical Therapy!